Saturday, May 19, 2007

May 18, 2007

Last night I went to see Michael and he was wide awake. He was 3 months yesterday (90 days today!) Leslie, the nurse, let me take his temperature and let me change his diaper. I love that. Only her and Karen will have the mommies involved like that. I think that is so important. Leslie said that when they start bottle feeding Michael for me to try and be there as much as possible. Get to know him, how he reacts etc, before we take him home. I just love hearing those words. I know it is still a few weeks off, but I am really looking forward to it. It is also scary. I just read this article in the Preemie Magazine about a mom who said that the worst day of her life, was leaving the hospital without her baby. The second worst day was the day she was leaving the hospital with her baby. I can totally understand that! She said that she grew so accustomed to the care of the nurses and doctors that it scared her doing all those things by herself. The doctor told her that the moment she goes home with the baby, she should forget about the NICU time and pretend she has a newborn baby. I thought that was good advice..

Michael was awake last night and he looked at me. I feel that this was the first time he really looked at me. I thought he could actually see me. That was awesome!!! He is so beautiful!!! Leslie said that he looks a little like Robert and a little like me, but he mostly looks like 'Michael'. I thought that was cute :)

Today we are going to see Michael and after that we will take Shiva (our dog) to Rae and Jules in West Palm Beach. She loves it there. She can swim in the lake and we take her on long walks. She deserves it. We have been kind of neglecting her. This morning she was hysterical. I was using an emery board on my nails and she was really interested and gave me her paw to do her as well. She loved it!!! When I was done, she gave me her other paw!!! Have you ever heard of such a thing? She is such a little princess :)
This is the first time we will leave Miami in 13 weeks and it will a nice change of pace :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Nathali and Robert,

I am so happy for you that Michael is doing so well!!! We just came back from a holiday in Turkye and the first thing we did was reading Michaels journal. We check his diary every 2 or 3 days to see how he is growing.He is cute and it is nice to finally see his face at the fotos. At the picture from a few days ago, Michael really looks like your dad Nathali!!

We are very happy for you that he is doing well. Sometimes i found it difficult to talk about this, thats why i donot mail as often as i should have. It may seem as a lack of interest, but most of the time i donot find the right words to say, but i am always thinking of the 3 of you!!

Lots of hugs from Bernardina, Ramon, Christiaan and Marie-Louise

Unknown said...

Hello Nathali and Robert,
Your talking about bringing Michael home is such a wonderful thing to hear. I wish I could be there to help out. I remember being with my niece, who is now 13, and my sister, who was also a first time Mom. We were giving my niece her first bath in the kitchen sink. We were laughing so hard because we were so clueless about how to go about doing that. We could not figure out the best way to rinse off the soap, so we decided to have my sister hold her up as I sprayed her down with the sink spray nozzle!! Okay, that's probably not the way you are supposed to do it, but, it worked. And, I am sure that you will have so many moments like that which will get you laughing too!