Monday, March 26, 2007

March 26

Michael had a ND (nasal duodenum)) feeding tube placed through his nose and into his intestine today. The tube now passes through his stomach, to allow him to start the feedings again directly into his intestine.

We are now very mindful of the fact that his lungs will not heal as they are now scarred from the extended time on the respirator. Now, it's a matter of waiting for his lungs to grow and mature, which will permit his eventual separation from the ventilator.

My belief is that we are at a virtual standstill until Michael's respiration improves. He's going to do it, but it will take a few weeks, maybe a month. In the meantime, we are thankful that he's gotten past one of the most harmful preemie risks, the brain bleed. At this point, he's no longer at any real risk of that...

Let's see where tomorrow goes....

2 comments:

Juli Gabehart said...

Nathali, Keep in mind that every premie is different and a weight goal for a breathing milestone is just that, a goal. It means he will have the best advantage of reaching the breathing milestone around the time the weight goal has been met. I agree with Shannon, the doctors should not be saying that to you. Michael may prove them wrong BEFORE meeting that weight goal or he may take his sweet time (our premies are definitely persistant and have their own minds about these things sometimes...get used to it, baby! You'll learn to appreciate that more as he gets older...it's a GOOD thing!)

Also, there's a reason he's aspirating and they need to figure it out NOW! If it's reflux, insist they treat it! My best bet is that it's a nurse who's not burping him correctly or for long enough. Nathali, you are the mom, your insurance company is paying this bill and you have the right to DEMAND better care for your son. Don't be shy. I "fired" two nurses (from caring for her) when Morgan was in the hospital and they were never allowed to touch my baby again. I told the nursing supervisor I was putting him on notice that I would sue the hospital if they did. (I was surprised with myself! I'm not a "threat" kind of person but my tiger-mommy instincts came out in full force!!!) You are your son's voice right now...use it when you see things that don't look right. Ask one of us veteran mommies...we'll tell ya!

My mom is a Nurse Practitioner and she helped me understand a lot when Morgan was in the hospital...mostly she taught me to follow my instincts and that advice never failed me.

Also, Morgan was on the vent for 46 days straight. She had BPD and did better than they expected her to do once she was off of it. So, let them prepare you for the worst but expect the best from your son. Over these 15 years, I've learned that's the best way to approach it for my sanity's sake. It also has been a great philosophy for raising my daughter.

The doctors and early testing said she would not be smart, she tested very low on IQ tests because of her visual limitations. (people with limited vision "gather" information in different ways than well-sighted people) Boy, were they wrong!!! Morgan is a freshman in high school, an A/B student and is on the yearbook staff. She's taking agility training (competition) classes with her dog, Colton. She rides horses, and talks on the phone with her friends more than I did as a teenager. She has a Myspace that she's designed herself and navigates a computer as well as I do. So! Don't let their predictions limit your expectations!

Shannon said...

Hi guys...been thinking of you and I hope everything is okay since you haven't posted in a few days!!