Tuesday, March 20, 2007

March 20, 2007

Michael has been doing okay. He still has trouble with his breathing and is now officially diagnosed with BPD (Broncho Pulmonary Dysplasia). Babies who need oxygen for more than a month are usually diagnosed with this. They may need oxygen and other treatments for several weeks or months. They can outgrow BPD as their lungs mature and grow, although some premature infants continue to require oxygen when they go home. We hope that Michael will outgrow this before he comes home. We hope that within the next week or so, he will do better on his breathing.

This morning he pulled out his breathing tube and they had to intubate him right away. They also put a ‘frog pillow’ on top of him. This is a heavy blanket that is supposed to help him feel like he is in the womb and he even manages to push that off of him. He definitely is a stubborn little boy :)

This afternoon they weighed him. He is 740 gram (1 pound, 10 ounces), woohoo!!! That is great!! He is now up to 9 cc every two hours.

I met Sally, the mother of the twins that were next to Michael. They were born at 26 weeks. She seems very nice and I will pray for her little babies.
Last night they delivered twins at 21 weeks!! Both babies weighed less than 1 pound!! I hope they will be doing well. At least Michael is not the smallest baby in the NICU anymore…

Claudia, our friend from Orlando, went home Sunday after helping me the last week of my independence. She drove me around everywhere and that was a great help!! I can drive myself again and it is a great feeling. Most likely I will go back to work this week. I am a little nervous about that. I still have to breast pump every two hours. I Hope that will work out easily.

I saw my OB today, dr. Bitran. Both dr. Bitran and dr. Rivera have been great and supportive! They both are very down to earth, which I really like about them.

Rae and Jules and my father have met Michael already. I hope that Joke, my mom, will get to meet him soon as well! Perhaps when he comes home from the hospital. I think that all my family from Holland should move here :), ha ha! I miss them all!!

We will try to post a new picture within the next few days

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Hi Nathali,

So happy to hear that things sound okay right now around there. Don't be too upset about the BPD. Ashton came home on oxygen and was only on it here for ten months.

1lb 10ounces eh?! That is soooo little! I can't wait to see a new picture of little Michael! I have added him on the side of my blog..I want others to travel this journey with you as well!

Continuing to think and pray for Michael...

Lauren said...

HI again...

I wanted to say I'm sooooooo happy that Micheal is doing better!!

xoxoxoxo

Juli Gabehart said...

Hey, 1 lb, 10 oz! He's becoming a little porker, isn't he? :-) I'm glad to hear the weight is picking up, that's a good sign. Like Shannon said, don't worry about the BPD, Morgan had it too and they told me she might need to be hospitalized a few times in her first two or three years with bronchitis due to the higher susceptibility but she never did. God kept her pretty healthy in those first few years. She had several ear infections but that's pretty normal for most babies. Keep up the good work, Michael, Mommy and Daddy!

Nathali said...

Thanks Shannon and Juli!!! I feel pretty good about him now. I am amazed how strong he is. Terri(the head nurse in the NICU) took a picture of him yesterday. I hope to post that as soon as possible. My husband and I are both 'big people' so the fact that Michael is a good eater, is no surprise :)

Lauren, you are adorable!! We are all looking forward to your bat mitzvah and of course we hope to bring Michael with us. Maybe you can show him some dance moves :)

Nathali