Michael DID swallow milk into his lungs and now he has a lung infection. This means he is on another antibiotic now. My poor little baby. The doctor said that him pulling out his tubes is a pain in the butt, but it is also a good sign. He is very active.
We will know in about 7-10 days if the infection will be gone.
I had a hard day today. I found out that not only brain bleeds, but also some kinds of medication could cause cerebral palsy. I was crying all morning in the NICU and told the nurse eventually what my fear was. The doctor told me later that day that they do NOT give medication that could cause cerebral palsy. That was kind of a relief. Also, the nurse said that preemies of this age have a bigger chance to have hearing and visual problems. I think Michael can hear fine. He does react to the loud noices in the NICU. Today was a 'down' day on the emotional roller coaster, but I hope tomorrow will be better.
When I returned to the NICU later this afternoon, I had to wait outside, along with some other mothers. Something was going on. I got a little nervous. What if it was Michael? Then I saw another mother go inside. She was crying and she was the only mother allowed inside. She was the mother of the twins next to Michael. They are both under 2 pounds. I think the baby was stable after about 10 minutes after I got there. It's hard breaking to see someone elses pain like that, because you know what they are going through, and you also feel guilty for being 'happy' that it isn't your child. Terri, the head nurse (and the one that calmed me down this morning) said: 'Mamma Pincus, it wasn't Michael, otherwise I would have called you right away!'. They are all so nice in the NICU!!
I try to breast pump in the NICU now. For some reason the pump I have at home really hurts me. It is not a 'hospital' grade pump, and I think I am starting to feel that now. I have decided that I am going to rent one after all.
This morning, the other nurse Miguel, came to check on my incision and it is almost closed and infection free. This means that Stefani, my 'regular' nurse does not have to come by any more in the morning. It's a shame. I really liked her :) She did a great job!!! I am glad that I am healing though...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Hi Nathali,
One piece of advice: don't listen to EVERYTHING the docs say...
The drug Ashton was on that caused his issues is used for every baby in the NICU that he was in...
I will email you in the morning. I can barely keep my eyes open but I had to come and check on little Michael.
Hugs
Hi Nathali,
Matthew just sent me the link to your blog and I am trying to get your email address from him too. I have been thinking of you a lot! I am sorry to hear that poor little Michael swallowed milk into his lungs. I have him in my thoughts and prayers and hope he gets better.
I am glad to hear that you are healing up well, finally!
Try to focus on each day and not to think to hard about what ifs?? We are here from afar thinking of you and Robert!
Love, Mary
Dexamethazone (steroids) given to improve lung function in some NICUs can cause CP. Hopefully your NICU doesn't use it but I would make sure by asking about the drug specifically. If a doctor says they don't give it, I'm sure they don't. Neither of my preemies got it and I didn't even know of the dangers to ask that they not give it then.
Here is a journal article that shows the steroid/CP connection:
http://fn.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/83/3/F177
(hopefully, that link will work)
I'm glad to read that Michael is doing better and he is fighting his infection. The breast milk will help so much!
Hi Shannon and Lisa,
I will find out if Michael receivede this medication. However at this point the doctors and the medication are Michael's lifeline. I have to have faith in what they are doing. I will love my little boy no matter what!! I am very very sorry for the pain that both of you have to go through and wish you both all the strenght you can use!
Hi Mary,
I am glad to hear from you. I wish you and Matthew were closer :)
Hope to see you soon again!!
Nathali
Post a Comment