Saturday, March 17, 2007

March 17th, 2007

Nathali and I just returned from the NICU. Michael continues to fight a lung infection with the help of antibiotics. Preliminary tests today show that the infection is decreasing and that the antibiotics are working. Also, he is being given a bit more milk, now 8.5 cc every two hours. And, he appears to be having no issues tolerating it and digesting it quickly. This is very good.

He is very active and seems to be fighting the intubation. The nurse says that he believes that he can do it on his own (needs no help) and that he's clearly a stubborn kid and will be a fighter. So, the nurse needs to give him alot of attention to make sure he has the proper oxygen despite the lung infection and his activity. While we were there, the nurse turned him from his back onto his stomach, which definitely calmed him down.

Nathali and I both touched his arm today while the nurse was changing his diaper. He grabs onto your finger and holds it. Today was the first time that I touched Michael.

Tomorrow is 4 weeks since his arrival... Hard to believe.

6 comments:

23wktwinsmommy said...

Hi...I just happened upon your blog. I have 23 week twins who were born in Sept. Concerning the feeding issue, I wanted to tell you that neither Serena nor Edwin were EVER left alone during a feeding time. A nurse would stand there and hold the tube or watch it go in...this was true of all babies feeling through a tube. You might want to make the nurses aware that this can't happen again and someone needs to be there at all times during feeds so that he does not aspirate again. Hope this helps, feel free to check out my blog and/or email me any time! Wishing you the best!

Lisa said...

I know that Nathali is worried about little Michael. I wanted to reassure both that fighting the tubes and holding your finger is a great sign.

I have a brain injured baby and in the NICU, he never fought any of his breathing apparatus (like my first preemie did) nor would he hold my finger. Michael sounds like he is doing well to me!

Nathali said...

Hi 23wktwins'mommy,
Thanks for your message. I just read back what I had posted and I was wrong. Michael did not swallow milk. It was spit up he swallowed. He is doing much better today! The nurses are ALWAYS next to his isolette as they have to adjust the amount of oxygen he is getting constantly. And of course during feedings they never leave his sight. I am very happy with the nurses and drs in our NICU :)
Thanks for your concern. I looked at your blog and Serena and Edwin are absolutely adorable!!!

Hi Lisa,

I am so sorry to hear about your baby and can totally feel your pain. Does he have CP? I grew up with a brother with CP. He is now 24 and living on his own. I am so proud of him! I can't believe you had 2 preemies!!

Juli Gabehart said...

Nathali and Robert,

I posted this on a different day's blog without realizing so I'm pasting it here today so you will see it.)

I'm so impressed with Michael's progress! I've shared with you a little of Morgan's (10-10-91, 27 weeks gestation, 630 grams) story so you know you aren't alone in your worry for Michael's future and your love for your precious baby boy. Fortunately, God loves him more than you and is the ultimate "parent." He is holding him when you can't, He is comforting him when you can't, He is loving him and keeping him in his protection in ways that you can't. All parents love their children with an unmatchable passion but parents of premies have seen how delicately balanced life is and have an even deeper bond and understanding with their child. My baby was faced with many obstacles: retinopathy of prematurity, PDA, grade IV bleed, BPD, mild pulmonary valve stenosis, mild CP, and several surgeries. She's as normal as a 15 year old can be (are any teenagers normal?? LOL) Best of all, my "baby" is praying for your baby...be encouraged by our story and know that even through terrifying times, God's love covers you with His hand of protection. He never leaves your side and He never leaves Michael's heart. Love to both of you, Juli

Shannon said...

Hi Robert and Nathali!

I am so happy to hear that you guys got to touch him! It is so wonderful any time that you get to do this.

I am happy to hear that Michael is fighting so hard! I think about him often and hope that he starts going uphill.

Nathali, I emailed you a few days ago. I agree with you that the drugs are life saving. I know that you love your little boy no matter what! How could you not?! He is so adorable!

Lauren said...

HI...Its Lauren P. and I wanted to say that I know that Micheal will live!!! Also, that I hope he is going to be there at my bar-mitzvah that would be soooo cool!!!

P.S. It might be Bat-mitzvah I don't know
xoxoxoxo