Michael was moved to the floor yesterday. He was put in a room with another little girl who was coughing quite a lot. I feel like I constantly have to remind the staff that Michael is immuno suppressed and that you have to be careful who he shares a room with. In the PICU they put a baby next to him with Meningitis. I told 2 doctors and a nurse that it's not good to put these babies next to each other. Also, every baby that was put close to him, I would ask the nurse to make sure they didn't have RSV. They all look at you as if you are crazy!! I don't care, I just wants what's best for Michael.
When he got to the floor the doctor came by and told me that Michael needs a private room, because his white blood cell count is too low. This means he is not able to fight any infection very well. So the little girl was moved out of the room. The doctor couldn't believe that the PICU missed this very important detail!! I can't believe that either, especially since I had been rubbing their nose in this since we got there!!
So yesterday afternoon Michael was miserable again. He would sat in the 80's and very low 90's constantly at .5 liter. It just didn't make sense to me. I kept telling the nurses and doctors, but they told me that only if he sats continuously for more than 15 minutes in the 80's they will take action. So basically, on the floor, you are on your own. You have to be Michael's advocate 100%, but that is nothing new.
Last night, Robert stayed in the hospital. I went home at 8pm, went to bed at 9pm and woke up at 7am!! I couldn't believe it!! Michael did much better last night. Robert played with him for about 2 hours and then he slept through the night. He is still on steroids, I misunderstood. They gave it to him for 48 hours. This morning they lost his IV, so they have to put in a new one. I am glad I won't be there for that. It breaks my heart to see him in pain!!
I was told that he would be in the hospital at least until Monday. So we will be "celebrating" Passover in Miami Children's :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Michael is in our thoughts and prayers. I didn't realize he was immunosupressed. Sammy actually gets transfusions every 4 wks because his immune system isn't functioning properly. I would be so angry if they put sam with someone who would make him sick. I hope Mikey;s md's and nurses smarten up
Just letting you know you are in my thoughts. Sending healing thoughts Michael's way! Continue to keep us updated...we hope he is well soon!
Post a Comment