Michael has his hearing aids!!! We were so excited and so looking forward to this day. Unfortunately it wasn't as rewarding as we had hoped. Thankfully Rae and Jules went with me to the audiologist (Robert had to work) and I am so glad they did, because it was so overwhelming. You get so much information and you have to learn how to do everything in a small amount of time.
It took a while before we could get his hearing aids in. The audiologist tried to teach me and I have to admit that it's not easy!! The most difficult part was to KEEP them in his ears. Every movement he makes (and he moves a lot, he is a baby) pushes them out. We tried tape, we tried a band they had, but it was too big.
Also when he had his aids in, he didn't react to sound as I had hoped. Maybe I just expected too much.
Last night, I tried to show Robert how to put them in, but I couldn't even get it. I was so disappointed. I am actually a little down (again). Luckily I have Robert. He said that we have been able to face everything so far, we'll be able to deal with this as well...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Where are the hearing aid pics?? I'm going to put an old one of Noah up on our blog in honor of Michael. It takes some time for them to get used to the sounds that they are hearing. The audiologist told us not to expect any responses right away when Noah got his hearing aids. It's just like a newborn baby. He has to start learning what sound is right from the beginning. I look forward to lots of updates. This is a topic that is close to my heart!
Oh the fun of hearing aids! I too was pretty disappointed when Ashton got his. I'll admit that after 8months of wearing his there wasn't much that he heard with them or reacted to. Are you in the process for a cochlear implant? With severe to profound hearing loss it should be automatic. I would really recommend this as it is AMAZING what Ashton hears now. EVERYTHING!!!!! It is a LONG process so maybe it wouldn't hurt to look into it.
Post a Comment