Sunday, April 8, 2007

April 08

Michael has been receiving steroids since Thursday in preparation for an attempt to get him off the respirator. The steroids have dramatically decreased his dependency on the respirator already and his oxygen requirement is minimal. Sometime this week, if nothing changes, they will remove the respirator and see if he is able to respirate on his own. If not, they will reintubate him and try again a few weeks later. Nathali and I are really hoping that he is ready now, so we are just waiting...

He's still doing well with his feeding and so he's growing. With this, and the potential for the extubation, we are feeling pretty positive for the last few days that we may be through the worst of it.

1 comment:

Juli Gabehart said...

I'm so proud of your son! I love the picture of him in his preemie outfit. My mom and I went shopping for Morgan's first outfits in a K-Bee Toys store and bought Cabbage Patch clothes! (They didn't make "preemie" clothes back then) Responding well to the steroids and the prospect of getting off the veht is such a wonderful, positive step forward. Keep it up, Michael!
Love,
Juli