Sunday, December 16, 2007

December 16, 2007

We got to see a Gastroenterologist this week. He upped Michael's Prevacid, so we hope this will help. He still has some spitting up, but not the vomiting he used to do. Next week he will have to do an ultrasound to rule out 'malrotation'. I doubt he has this, but it is better to rule things out.
Tuesday Michael will have a brain scan, ordered by the ENT to make sure his cochlea did not grow since birth. If it did, he won't be able to get a cochlear implant. So he will need to be assessed for that. He will be sedated for the MRI. So for both tests he will need to fast. That will be fun!!!! I don't think Michael is a candidate for cochlear implants at this point, since he seems to be really responsive with his hearing aids. He is also 'talking' away. At first he would get quiet when you'd put his hearing aids in. Now he is squealing, laughing and talking. During AVT (auditory verbal therapy) he was turning his head to every sound, so they scheduled a booth test for him at the beginning of the new year.

We also saw the pediatrician, dr. Perello this week. The dr. hasn't seen Michael in a few months because every time we went there, he was either sick or on vacation. He was so impressed with Michael. He told us that he is in the 25 percentile of his adjusted age growth chart. He was 14 pounds, 5 ounces and he was 25 inches. His lungs were clear. The took some blood (not as painful as last time) and his blood looked excellent!! So it was a great visit!! He got his Synagis (RSV) shot and some other shots and he'll have to come back in two weeks for the rest of his vaccinations. I guess the Synagis is working. Robert and I both had a bad cold while we were in Orlando and Michael never got it!!!

At PT/OT/ST we saw Nina this week. Her brother Noah is still in the hospital (over 9 months now!!!!) Nina is doing great!! She has a tooth already and she is turning around and grabbing her feet!!! Michael is a little behind in all these things, but we will keep working with him. I'm sure he is getting close (he has done it a few times). When he is playing on his play math, he keeps lifting his butt up as if he wants to turn around. I don't really like putting him on his belly, since it really bothers him and it triggers his reflux, but we will have to do it in order for him to practice rolling over. He is doing very well eating off his spoon. I fed him pears this week and he loved it!!!

Michael has been sleeping through the night lately (woohoo!!!!) but I still sleep with him in the room (also because he is still on oxygen at night, but mainly because I have a hard time letting go of this habit!!). He is such a sweet baby. He only cries when he is hungry, sleepy or when something bothers him, which doesn't happen that often. When he wakes up in the morning, he starts looking at his hands and starts talking. He always wakes up in a good mood. I just love my little Muppet sooooo much!!!!!

1 comment:

Mommato4miracles said...

So happy to hear that Michael is doing so well. It is such a blessing when your children are growing and thriving, even if they start out in a way that was unexpected. I think some may take things for granted but the rest of us know how wonderful and special each step in the right direction is. We wish you guys a wonderful Christmas!!!