Sunday, January 24, 2010

January 24, 2010

Wow, I haven't updated the blog in a long time!! I don't even know where to start!!!!
I have been posting my updates on Facebook lately, so I have neglected the blog.

We spent a lot of time at Bascom Palmer lately. We are going to rename it: PINCUS Palmer :)
We also have a Bascom Palmer guest services employee helping us during our visits now and they have been a huge help. In fact, because we have the help from Deriz or Karina, Robert can now stay at work. In fact we spent so much time at Bascom Palmer that I think we should get a family discount, ha ha!!

So since my last post, Mikey had beginning pneumonia (again!) and we weren't sure he was going to be okay for his scheduled surgery on December 28. But with a lot of breathing treatments, Michael finally had surgery on his left eye. First the doctor checked the pressure while he was under anesthesia. The pressure in his right eye was up again. It is supposed to be around 10 or 12 and it went up to 18 (it was near 30 before the surgery). The pressure in his left eye is 27/29 so he definitely needed surgery in that eye. Unfortunately there were complications during the surgery. The pressure in his left eye started building up and had nowhere to go. It actually pushed up his lens!!! It's called Postenar Misdirection Syndrome. The doctor had only seen it once before in his career. We needed to come back the same week to see if it caused any damage to his eye.

So they did another examination under anesthesia on Thursday, December 31. The doctor said that they might have to bring in a retina specialist and maybe they would have to replace the entire lens of his eye. He freaked me out!!! I told him to examine him first before he gives me the worst case scenario. Luckily the examination turned out good. There was no damage (for now), but we would have to come back in 3 weeks.

On January 4, a few days after his surgery, Mikey's eye was pretty swollen, much more than during the last surgery. So I contacted dr. Werner and of course being the awesome doctor that he is, he came to Mikey's school to take a look at him. He really is amazing!!! And the eye looked fine :)

On January 14, Jules had to be rushed to the ER of Bascom Palmer. He had a detached retina and needed (laser) surgery right away. They lasered him 330 times and every time felt like a knife stab!! The surgery wasn't 100% successful so the next day he had another surgery where they injected a gas bubble in his eye. After this surgery he needed to keep his head tilted for several days so that the gas would fill the retinal hole and heal it. That also wasn't completely successful so he needed another laser surgery. A total of 3 surgeries in 4 days!!!

January 21 we went back to Bascom Palmer to see how Michael's left eye was doing. I was shocked when the dr came out and told me that Michael's pressure was up in both eyes. 30 in the right eye and 29 in the left eye. He was going to operate (with a different kind of surgery) on the right eye. That was the last think I expected!!! Since it was only supposed to be a check up, Robert went to work that day. Luckily Jules and David were still in the building for Jules' retina check-up. They decided to stay with me all day and they were a tremendous help!! I was so lucky to have them with me!!!!

On Friday we went back to Miami for his post-op. The white of his eye was dark dark red!! Awful to look at, but the doctor said that that was exactly what was supposed to happen. It meant that the surgery was probably a success, although we don't know that for sure for a few more months. I didn't like the alternative the doctor suggested in case this surgery didn't work: reconstructive surgery of the ducts in his eye, to give the pressure a way to release itself... Ugh!!

Other than Mikey having surgeries and being sick a lot lately, he is doing amazingly well!!! He loves school. He is really picking up words now. One of his very clear words are: 'MINE' and "EYE DROPS" :)
His favorite movie is 'Cars', he loves riding his new tricycle. He still loves to throw things.
He is a very cute mischievous little boy. I think I might have mentioned it before, but my little trooper is AMAZING!!!!!

No comments: